Our days numbered?

Started by jimking, May 19, 2008, 09:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

ooh thats a great area for printing, my sister is in maryland. she works at kelly
i know theres quite a few large printers in maryland. french bray, american, this may be too far for you tho.
i can get a list for you if its not too far from you.
Ooh, and Wash DC is where the USGPO government printing office,  I would love to work there. My sisters trying to get in there, Health benefits for the rest of your life.
I wouldnt wait with the resume's you can always go back. I hounded someone for a job once. thats how i got it.

jimking

Thanks for the info Tracy. I'm familiar Kelly Press, over near Landover, Maryland, they were founded by sales folks from Mercle Press years ago, and is not far from me. American I think is across town in Cheverly, Maryland, a good low turnover plant, not too far from me. French Bray is a Baltimore plant and is closed down. I knew a few who worked for them- too far of a distance. I worked for the government for several years but not GPO and wouldn't. GPO is not cracked up to what you would think it would be. They are not up to speed like you would think and politics is rampant in GPO, enough where many decide not to stick around and many others who can't get in because of politics. The pay and bennys are good however. Around here printers are like family, we know each other quite well for better or worse.

Chelle

Quote from: jimking on November 21, 2008, 10:59:31 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 21, 2008, 10:35:54 AM
Quote from: jimking on November 21, 2008, 10:26:22 AMNot so bad yet. I have a heater under my desk.  :cheesy: I've kept my eyes and ears open for opennings with nothing listed. The issue now is the holidays coming up and I'm hesitant to send out resumes just yet, fearing they'd be pushed aside and forgotten about. So, after the holidays are over I'm sending as many out as I can wither they list for help or not.

Sounds perfectly logical to me. I just hope you are not currently working for free, if you get my meaning. :sad:
No, he's caught up so far. The other spot I'm in is my wife is ill and health insurance is the big player in our lives now and the boss has been staying on top of it. She is totally disabled leaving us in a very shaky situation. The boss, I've known since he was a kid, has his heart in the right place but just is having a big problem running a business. His father was only 56 years old when he had a heart attack so the boy was thrown into a tight spot after paying all his father's debt. I even have the opportunity to become half owner if I wanted to but with a sick wife who is struggling now trying to get SSDI after working 30 years, risking our savings and house now and in our early 50s is a risk I'm not ready to make.
I'm sending lots of good thoughts your way, Jim... And thanks for helping me find my way over to THIS forum, by the way, I am REALLY liking it here. :grin:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

jimking

Thanks Chelle, and thanks again for the support everyone!  :grin:

gnubler

Quote from: Chelle on November 21, 2008, 03:14:25 PMAnd thanks for helping me find my way over to THIS forum, by the way, I am REALLY liking it here. :grin:

I take it you spent some time over at Print Planet? It doesn't take long.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

were all here with ya.
my sisters an estimator at kelly (use to be prepress) let me know if you need a name or somethin

Chelle

Quote from: gnubler on November 21, 2008, 04:09:52 PM
Quote from: Chelle on November 21, 2008, 03:14:25 PMAnd thanks for helping me find my way over to THIS forum, by the way, I am REALLY liking it here. :grin:

Actually it was GDF (Graphic Design Forum).

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on November 21, 2008, 04:09:52 PM

...ya gotta be careful gnub; can't assume anything.   :wink:    I hesitate to place a "wink" these days, post-Palin. I guess the importance of it will fade, over time... :cheesy:

Geez, haven't been over there in a while, chelle. It's not a bad place. Jimking is our unofficial ambassador over there. He has a much more conservative avatar there too, as befits his diplomatic corps status.    :cool:

...OK, I'm guessing he got you here, right?   :embarrassed:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chelle

Yup. He did. I haven't been over there for awhile either. I pop in now and then. I (obviously) am spending more time here. And on my NASCAR site. There's a shock.

jimking

We have heat. Yes, the boss man finally made a decision (the first in 2 years) and had the gas turned on! It took me an hour to realize that I can actually take my jacket off.  :grin:

born2print

Nice, sometimes it's the little things that make life good.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Chelle

Edgar

Hey guys! I'm back again.

Big printer shops will change its workflows to automatic workflows since they're receiving planned jobs and long printing runs, so it is a good idea to cut prepress time. Medium to little printer shops will mantain the adjusting files jobs since they receive several jobs per day with short printing runs.

Just keep in mind: most of the designers all around the world are non experienced in prepress techniques so printers shops will often require a "little hand" to introduce their jobs to the press and postpress with good results. None of the files that we process in our shop is perfect, so they need us to keep adjust them and presses running and making money.

I suggest you all to learn configuring workflows, fingerpint presses and planning color workflows. Anyway, if prepress won't survive in the future, someone has to put things in order and making the machines keep running.

Also, I'm still looking for Renee Zeellwegger or Naomi Watts. I have to be married with these both chicks. I'm planning my "harem".

Ps. Happy New Year. God Bless You All

prepresstex

Thank god clients pay more

Abdulq60

With the kind of work designers are dishing out, I don't think prepress will ever be eliminated.