Archiving to BluRay

Started by frailer, October 05, 2011, 09:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

well look what the cat drug in...

and, not bad, and the price seems reasonable.

etched into the dvd, what a concept.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Nick Burns

OWC Mercury Pro (Pioneer BDR-206) is the gold standard for now until the stone carvers are released. 25Gb discs are $1 a pop at Meritline.

Recording a CD at 1X is not the same as recording a DVD at 1X. The same is true for Blu-ray, where 1X is equivalent to approximately 2.4X for DVD. The media I mentioned above is 4X which writes at 18MB/s and takes about 24 minutes. The burner is capable of 12X which equates to 8 minutes.

Joe... yes when you look at optical it scratches it, you know what it doesn't do? It doesn't corrupt it's firmware, it doesn't crash it's head, it doesn't burn out it's motor. No working parts means more reliable. As long as you don't scratch the label side you can buff out the plastic side, I paid a buck to have a firm restore my GTA3 disc when it had deep canyons on it from a PS2 that went haywire on it.

Farabomb...  I wouldn't wipe my arse with a Maxtor drive. I don't have fanboy feelings about any brand hard drive, I like Seagate, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc... WD's have firmware design that makes them much harder to recover than all of the other brands when they go south. Maxtor are absolute crap, period, I swore off of them years ago after having 7 fail within 6 months of each other. I've replaced dozens and dozens of failed drives around here, I already know before I pop the case what kind of drive is going to be in there... Maxtor, and I guess right 95% of the time. And yes I know they are owned by Seagate, they're still crap.

I buy Guardians here for system clones but not for archival purposes. I wouldn't trust any data on any drive without ECC ram used to write to it and ZFS stripes on it.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

frailer

Appreciate the input. Everything's a relative risk assessment, like stepping out the front door on a Saturday morning, which I'm about to do.
We are talking here, in our situation, old jobs which would be accessed rarely, and even then, rarely critical requirement.
For my purposes, even with reduced time in BluRay burning, the benefit of not having to do it far outweighs any risk. At least that's how it looks here. I'd rather spend the time cranking the knowledge on lyndadotcom, or summin. OK, yes, I can do it while BluRays are burning, but it's a distraction. Then there's the indexing.
Others probably have more critical data retrieval requirements.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Well, I've been copied into the quote from 'IT Man' (himself... if he hadn't, I'd still be in my usual state; KITDAFOBS_Kept In The Dark And Fed On Bullshit). Seems he's quoted to include pp in the RAID5 (upstairs), proposed. I'm OK with that, (too old to care?)
One question, though. Would there be possible problems, say, with fonts losing their resource forks, stuff like that, when they're retrieved? Being transferred into a PC environment...
Up against my knowledge ceiling here.    :cheesy:  I may be flappin' about nothing.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Yes, there can be font problems depending on the server and OS and version of OS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

I guess ZIPing fonts folders would help. A lot of jobs now are PDF-only. No surprise.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

KITDAFOBS_Kept In The Dark And Fed On Bullshit. AKA Mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed shit.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Farabomb on October 25, 2011, 07:05:52 AMKITDAFOBS_Kept In The Dark And Fed On Bullshit.

Are you referring to the television watching masses? :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david