No compete

Started by Aaron, August 25, 2010, 02:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Yeah, I'll probably end up asking him to remove the working for 2 years after I leave thing and he'll say no and I'll just end up signing it.

I'm not sure how much I should dig my feet into the sand. Work is hard to find now-a-days ya know.

Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Joe

I'm not sure how enforceable that is. I guess it all comes down to how big of an ass the employer wants to be should you decide to go elsewhere. Even it's not enforceable they could make life miserable for awhile if they wanted to. Of course if you refuse to sign it they could make life miserable over that as well.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Aaron

Very true Joe. I think I'm screwed either way.

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

DCurry

Get them to amend it with a promise not to fire you for a certain period of time!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Sounds fair. Never will happen though. :undecided:

G_Town

Basically mine says you agree not to work at a competitor, meaning another company that does the exact same type of work you do for X amount of years.

Aaron

G_Town, yours did state that the time frame started after you left the employer? Not like what Joe had where it started from your hire date?

gnubler

I read all these comments and hearing about things like this just makes me want to :vomit:

I don't think I could accept being presented with and agree to such BS. I'd probably just quit and go work for a competitor. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 25, 2010, 09:03:41 PMI read all these comments and hearing about things like this just makes me want to :vomit:

I don't think I could accept being presented with and agree to such BS. I'd probably just quit and go work for a competitor. :laugh:

Does the desert southwest have that many jobs that you can just quit and find another job that afternoon?

gnubler

Joe, don't spoil my sassy, imaginative fantasy, mkay? :tongue:

I still wouldn't sign one, though. That would be my clue that I'm done with printing.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Crap, unpacking my car now. I was about ready to head to the desert.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on August 25, 2010, 09:22:03 PMDoes the desert southwest have that many jobs that you can just quit and find another job that afternoon?

Actually, I did almost just that once. Quit a job on a Thursday without notice and what do I see the next day in the newspaper classifieds? An ad for a printshop job that sounded like a perfect fit. Had interview the following Monday and was hired on the spot. They turned out to be a "connected" competitor to the previous job, it was awkward but oh well.

But it isn't 2003 anymore, I realize that...

Aaron

That's my concern. Tiny market here. No where to go to if they axed me for not signing it, even though it's not likely going to come to that.

gnubler

Understood.

We are all slaves.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Aaron on August 25, 2010, 10:32:45 PMThat's my concern. Tiny market here. No where to go to if they axed me for not signing it, even though it's not likely going to come to that.

Uhhh, maybe I'm misreading this but, if there's nowhere to go to, then there's no competion in the area for them to be worried about you leaving them for?  :huh:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley